The Problem of plastic in the environment is becoming well known. As a by-product of fossil fuels it is widely available at low cost with an almost indestructible quality it will last in the environment for up to 1000 years. The combination of low priced, single-use plastics is creating an unprecedented environmental catastrophe especially for our oceans where all waste tends to end up.
‘At least 8 million tons of plastic go to the world’s oceans year after year . The report warns that plastic trash will outweigh the fish by 2050, unless drastic measures are taken’
IN UNITED PLASTIC NATIONS WE BELIEVE IN THE NEED FOR CHANGE.
As a collective of artists, designers and makers we believe that change is essential. For this change to happen we are working together with different collectives and already existing organisations looking for different solutions.
These would be the main measures we considered to tackle the problem:
- Drastic reduction of plastic consumption – requires the support of institutions to change current legislation, providing solutions, such as an end to single use plastics and use of environmentally acceptable alternatives.
- Create social awareness and calls to action – ensuring more people are aware of the problem and providing solutions for the change of individual, familial and corporate plastic management.
- Educate future generations. The future relies on better education and awareness.
- Improve the recycling process and visibility. Reports are that plastics are not being recycled effectively or being recycled at all.
- Joining in the management of change. the participation in and creation of alliances by Mayors, Councillors, Ministers, Associations, Artists and different organisations in the fight for the eradication of plastic is essential. TOGETHER we can build a SUSTAINABLE solution.
The past has been about change measures should come from institutions but we at UNITED PLASTIC NATIONS believe that we ALL need to participate to bring about change.
At UPN we want to be an active part of the change and contribute to the implementation of the 5 measures described above.
For this reason we have contemplated creating our own recycling units and around these the creation of an entire service with educational kits and collateral actions like call to action events, awareness artwork, workshops and art installations.